Loyalty is a game mechanic in Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together. It determines how much an unit is willing to fight for Denam's cause (staying in the player's party), and it's closely tied to said unit's Alignment.
Loyalty is something of a hidden stat. There's no visual value to determine it besides inferring based on alignment and dialogue (the latter for unique or semi-unique units). However, some flavor text in the Party Menu give a hint to an unit's total loyalty (see below under Flavor Text).
How to Increase Loyalty Edit
To keep units in your party, you have to keep their loyalty high. Certain actions increase loyalty points:
- Gaining a rank in an unit's skill (the skill must be trained naturally) gives 10 points.
- Picking a Fool or Lovers tarot on the battlefield randomly increases 2 to 5 points.
- Recruit other units of the same clan.
- Certain dialogue choices (ex: acting obediently increases a Lawful unit's loyalty, acting willfully increases a Chaotic unit's loyalty...) increase 5 to 10 points.
How to Decrease Loyalty Edit
Taking certain actions will decrease an unit's loyalty. A sufficiently displeased unit will permanently leave the party. Thus, unless you purposefully want them to leave this way, you should avoid doing the following:
- Killing an unit with the same nationality (ex: a Walister unit killing a Walister enemy).
- Being incapacitated. This means losing all HP and letting the "down countdown" drop to 0.
- Certain dialogue choices (ex: acting willfully will decrease a Lawful unit's loyalty, acting obediently will decrease a Chaotic unit's loyalty...) decreases 5 to 10 points.
Special Cases Edit
Cistina, Folcurt, Bayin and Arycelle will suffer a steep drop in loyalty if you take the Neutral story route at the end of Chapter 2 (on Chaos route). The first three will lose 20 loyalty points, while Arycelle immediately drops to 10 loyalty (and will leave if the player doesn't take immediate action to increase her points).
Donnalto will suffer a steep drop in loyalty if you take the Lawful story route, and later deploy him to fight Arycelle in Chapter 2.
Flavor Text Edit
By pressing "Select" and highlighting an unit's name while in the "Party Menu", some flavor text will be displayed indicating said unit's relationship with Denam. This is the only way the player has to determine an unit's loyalty points; the better things are said in the text, the more points they have, and vice-versa.
Highlighting Denam's name will always display "To lead is to stand alone", as logically he cannot desert his own army.
Highlighting an enemy leader's name during battle will always display "Some things are beyond knowing."
|100~81||This beast purrs like a kitten when you draw near.|
|80~61||The beast has taken to you, a loyal companion that will fight at your side.|
|60~41||Though still wary of you, this beast is content enough so long as it's fed.|
|40~21||This beast cowers at your approach.|
|20~0||The beast crouches as though it might spring on you at any moment.|